Thursday, April 16, 2009

many mighty miracles


Two and half years ago, Isaac and I moved to Philadelphia. We felt very strongly that we should buy a house in a particular ward and on a particular street. There are a lot of dental students in our ward, and we happened to move three doors down from a dental student, his wife, and their new baby. They helped us move in, and we went over to their house for root beer floats that evening. Last year, our friend graduated and they moved to St. George to practice dentistry.

Fast forward to August 2008. 2373 miles away from us, a beautiful young woman was pondering what direction her life was about to take now that she was pregnant. She was led to know that adoption was the only way to give her baby a mom and a dad and the best life possible. She was referred to a lawyer by a good friend who had also placed a baby for adoption. The lawyer sent her profiles to look at, and she had pretty much decided on a couple.

One day not long after, this young woman was eating spaghetti, soft spaghetti, and she broke her tooth. She was at the dentist and about to get an x-ray when she mentioned she was pregnant. The dentist congratulated her. "Thank you" she said, "but I am thinking about adoption".

This dentist, our wonderful friend, said, "No pressure... but I have some friends that are hoping to adopt".

She went home, looked at the website the dentist had referred her to, and knew immediately that this was the family for her child. She showed the profile to her sisters who cried with the knowledge that they too felt this was the right family.

On October 9, I was sitting at work and received an email. The subject line read, "Birth mother is interested in you". My heart began to beat out of my chest. The email was from a lawyer in SLC who wanted to talk to me. I ran out into the hallway (a cubical is no place to take such a call), found a quiet spot, and pulled out a paper and pen to take notes. Within minutes I got a call from said lawyer. He explained that a woman had called him about a month ago and was thinking about adoption. She found our blog through a friend and wanted to talk to us. Could she call? Of course!

That night, as we were wondering through Ikea, I got the phone call that changed our lives. After talking with her for 45 minutes, she asked us if we could come to Utah to go to the ultrasound. I told her we'd be there for Christmas, so she promised to call the doctor the next day and set up a date that worked for all of us.

After hanging up the phone, I said to Isaac, "I'm not quite sure, but I think she picked us."

A month later, Kate's birthparents decided to place her in our home. My heart was in turmoil because I knew that we needed to have Kate in our family, but I also knew that 'A's baby belonged with us. After many tears and prayers, Isaac called 'A' and told her of our situation. I then followed up a week later with an email, still hoping that she would place her baby with us, but not convinced she would.

'A' wrote back that she was so excited for us, and that she would love to have her child in our home too. She even sent matching bracelets for Kate and the new baby (just in case it was a girl).

We kept in touch with 'A' through the whole ordeal, and her heart broke for us when we lost Kate. A few days after losing Kate, Isaac said, "What would we do without her"? She was our ray of hope in a very dark time. Maybe something beautiful could still come of this experience.

Two weeks after losing Kate, we met 'A' and her mother. They showered us with gifts during breakfast, we spent hours talking, and then we were able to see the ultrasound of our little baby girl. It was a totally surreal and wonderful time, but in my heart I was terrified. I couldn't survive any more heartbreak.

Over the next few months, I got constant emails and texts from 'A'. I loved her more and more every day, she is an amazing woman with an incredible spirit and determination. As her due date grew closer, we painted the nursery and bought some clothes, but I still couldn't let my heart believe it was going to happen.

'A' was going to be induced on Monday, April 6. We bought plane tickets for the Friday before, April 4. On Wednesday, April 1 I was in the grocery store when I got a phone call. Seeing that it was a Utah number, I was too terrified to even pick up. I stood staring at the chocolate chips while waiting with a racing heart to hear the voice mail.

It was 'A's mother calling to say that she was in labor and we were about to have a baby!! We frantically packed (I threw the entire contents of our dirty clothes hamper in a suitcase) and had my mom find us plane tickets. Two hours later, we were heading to Utah.

We arrived at the hospital around 3am. 'A' was in labor but not progressing, and around 5am they decided to do a C section. Our sweet baby was born at 5:47.

The experience at the hospital with 'A' and her family and friends was more wonderful, emotional, happy, sad, and trying than I could have ever imagined. My heart broke for this wonderful woman who was making the ultimate sacrifice for her child. Her friends and family brought us gifts, gave us hugs and congratulations. Everyone called us the baby's parents. Everyone called us mom and dad.

Our sweet, incredible birthmom had a rough go of things. After the c section she was really sick, then needed a blood transfusion, and had a really hard time walking. She was in so much pain. The desire to take away her pain was almost too much to handle- I wanted to be the one suffering, the one hurting. If ever anyone deserved an easy delivery, it was her. My heart was broken.

The things that were said and the emotions that were felt are too sacred to us to share, and too emotionally close to the surface to even process yet. Suffice it to say, I have never felt such love for a tiny baby, for this precious daughter of our Heavenly Father, than what was felt by our birthmom, her family, us, and our family for sweet baby Hazel.

Hazel's journey into our lives was truly wrought by many mighty miracles, and we feel blessed beyond measure.


**My sister-in-law took tons of amazing photos for us. Check them out here!

46 comments:

Unknown said...

She is absolutely precious. Congrats on your new little girl. May each and evvery moment be filled with happiness and love.

Danica said...

Oh. my. goodness!! She is breathtaking!!! What a beautiful baby. I am SO SO happy for you all and can't wait to see you...wiping away tears...

Meeker home said...

What a beautiful story!! Every adoption story is such a miracle. It's amazing to see the hand of the Lord working in your life so clearly, don't you think? I think it's quite certain, from all the details that had to happen just the way they did, that sweet Hazel is meant to be yours.

And the part about being in the hospital with the birth family had me sobbing. No one can understand the sacredness of that moment unless they've experienced it.

All sorts of happy for you guys! I will see you at the shower. (Thanks so much for thinking to invite me...I wouldn't miss it!)

Oliphaunt said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story! I can tell that the birth mom really is an amazing woman. I understand the pain of recovering from a C-section and I can't imagine what she is going though with those other complications. She is a courageous woman for what she went though. I hope you can keep in contact with her.
I'm loving the photos of Hazel, by the way. She's too cute!

brooklyn said...

oh sara and isaac. we are so happy for you. i am so glad that you wrote a little bit about what the birth mother had to go through, something a lot of us wouldn't really think of. thanks for sharing. lots of love,
brooklyn

mrs. jar said...

I cried as I read your story. I coulnd't be any happier for you. Thanks for sharing such a precious time in your lives with all of us. Your birthmother is an angel! And so is your daughter! Love to you!

Sarah and Jimi

katherine said...

oh i love you guys. thanks for sharing your story with us. she is such a beautiful, sweet baby. i am so glad i got to meet her and even photograph her. what a doll.

and ps, what would we do if we didn't have the gospel?? so thankful for a Heavenly Father who knows us and loves us and who gives us hope and comfort.

Anonymous said...

Sara, I don't know you personally, but I am another adoptive mom, and I left a note on your blog after you lost baby Kate. I said something along the lines of "Heavenly Father knew you needed to be there for that baby, and that birthmom, at that time." It is SO AWESOME to hear today the whole story, and think about what was unfolding. I have NO DOUBTS that you are where you should be, doing what you should. To hear from you that even if the path includes the heartbreak and pain, it is absolutely full of greater joy and comfort, just makes me weep. I AM SO, SO HAPPY for your gorgeous family. Many blessings upon new baby Hazel and all those who love her.

Anonymous said...

This story takes my breath away. You two are so full of faith. Hazel must have special things in store for her during her life to have had such an amazing start with you two. You will be in my prayers as well as her sweet birthmother who amazes me as well. Love you!

Anonymous said...

So excited for you!! happy to hear some good news in the world that we live in. She is sooooo cutie, Isac will have to beat the guys off her when she gets older! Congrats. Tosha

Ashley said...

starting out my morning crying.

i know what you mean. it's the most difficult thing in the world to feel so much love for an amazing young woman and see her suffer through not only the heart wrenching emotional pain, but the physical pain as well. it just doesn't seem fair.

i am so happy for you. if you need to talk, let me know, i've been there.

love you guys and i need to bring you food when i get back from portland.

Becky said...

I can't get over what a doll she is! She is just so perfect. You are the cutest little family ever! I loved the pics your sister-in-law did! I could look at them all day long! Ohh she is so cute!

The Leggs said...

Isaac and Sara, I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog. That is a beautiful story you told of one of my best friends. "A" and her older sister and I have been the best of friends for about 10 years. I sit here with tears streaming down my face. I know Hazel is meant to be yours. I don't know you at all but the feeling is so right. I went through much of the same decision about 3 years ago when my daughter was born. I believed that I needed to keep her though. I prayed and got the inspiration that she was sent to me for a reason. I now know many reason why. I will leave my email address and if you would like to be added to my blog I would be more than happy to add your family. Congrats on Hazel. She is beautiful. Thank you again for the wonderful things you said about "A". She is a strong, beautiful young woman.

Lindsey from The R House said...

tears.

Laura Marchant said...

I have tears and chills for you right now! Congratulations! She is beautiful mommy!

Becky said...

I forgot to tell you thanks for sharing your story with us all (I got caught up in all the adorbale pictures) What an amazing experience you and Isaac have gone through. 'A' will be so blessed for the choices she made. Hazel will be so happy and well taken care of with her amazing parents!

Britney said...

Beautiful, adorable little girl. Congrats!

CJ said...

I found you through the r house. I am sobbing with joy for you. Our little girl who also came to us through the miracle of adoption was born April 2nd. And we adopted her April 6th and flew home the 10th. I know just how in love you must be for I am too. Many blessings to you and your family.

Suzanne said...

Wow, your story brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you guys. She is beautiful!

Perschon Family said...

Sara,
What an amazing journey you've been on!

Both my sister and my brother have adopted amazing children into their families! I think each adoption story is incredible to hear or read because it show how the baby is truly guided into the right family! Your story is beautiful! I am SO happy for you and Issac! (Amy Blauer Perschon)

Kati said...

I love Hazel. She is such an amazing, sweet baby. I feel so blessed that I was able to be such a big part of this. Being there to document the whole thing on camera is a memory I will always cherish and remember. I will never forget the feelings of Joy combined with sadness I felt during those days I was at the hospital with you. "A" is an amazing woman who I admire more than anyone I have ever known. Her mother, sisters and friends all have such a special place in my heart. I am so glad I got to meet them, fall in love with them and feel the unconditional love they all have for sweet little Hazel. I hope "A" is recovering well and knows what an angel she is to our family. We will never forget her. She will be in my thoughts and prayers forever. I think about her often and hope she knows how truly amazing she is. Her courage and strenth through this whole thing brings me to tears when ever I think about it.
Sara, you and Isaac deserve this so much. We are so happy for you and cannot wait to see the life you give to Hazel. She is one blessed little girl. She has more people that love her, than any baby I have ever seen.

"A"...we love you so much. Words cannot express our deep love and appreciation. Thank you for placing your baby with our family. We adore her more than words can say...

April said...

you guys... I think she is the cutest newborn I have ever seen! those chubby dimpled elbows??? They are killing me!
I love the adoption story - I'm so glad you shared it - sending my love to you guys and birthmom :)

The Queen said...

Wow, I am so excited for you!!! She is GORGEOUS! I have tears in my eyes, congratulations on such a beautiful addition.

GreenPhoenix said...

What an amazing story! Congratulations once again; you are going to be excellent parents!

Renee' P said...

I am so happy for your new baby girl! I can sense your joy!
Heavenly Father is truely aware of us adoptive parents. And he does bless us with children at one time or another.
Congrats sweetie!

Martha said...

Tears, tears, and more tears. What a sweet little girl Hazel is. I can hardly express how happy I am for your family. Hazel's birthmom is a saint (and her family). Truly an angel sent down from heaven for all she has done and all she has endured. :) Yay!!! Gorgeous pictures. Your sister-in-law did a fantastic job.

Michelle said...

Heather and I are so excited for you! And we were bawling as we read your post. I am overjoyed for you!

~Our Family~ said...

Oh that is such great news... I'm so happy for you.. Miracles do happen.. She is gorgeous.... Congrats to you guys

Sam and Lacey said...

So cute! I have been following you story for awhile. Thanks for sharing. I am also an adoptive mom. What a blessing adoption is. It also brought us out of a very bleak and dark world. Bless your sweet brith mother. What a angel!!

Amanda said...

She is SO precious! I love all the picture's, the first one on your sister-in-laws blog is amazing! You are a beautiful family.

I hope "A" is recovering well, she truly is an amazing woman! An angel indeed!

Nanette said...

Congratulations! She is a cutie! It's fun to read about your fun family adventures. I would say that this is probably the best adventure of them all. Congrats!!

Mrs B said...

I'm so glad I got to see you guys & meet this gorgeous little miss. I still tear up every time I think of your happy little family, so yes, this made me cry to read. Congrats again. <3 Jaime

Natalie said...

What a great story and beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to meet her.

Andrea said...

Wow. Just wow. Such an amazing story. I have no doubt that Hazel was in heaven helping to put all those circumstances together to make sure she could come to your family. What a lucky girl!!!

Amanda said...

I'm so happy for you guys! What a darling little girl.

Unknown said...

What joyous news! Congrats, and I wish you well in your journey of parenthood! She is ABSOLUTELY the cutest thang! =)

Rock said...

She is so freaking cute! What an inspiring story. I know the couple your talking about in St. George. I remember the wife. Her kindness made such a positive impression on me. I'm so happy how this all worked out.

Becca said...

Even though i live here in Philly, I've never met you - and regardless, I am crying as I read this. I am so so happy for you. Hazel is perfect. Dang, God loves you.

Anonymous said...

we love you! thank you for being wonderful parents to Hazel, you and isaac have been such a blessing! thank you for the kind words about "A" she amazes me everyday.

jenn said...

Hi, Sara. I'm Jenn, Kati's friend, that helped a bit with Hazel's pictures. I peek in on your blog from time to time and I just wanted to say how happy I am for you and your family! Your baby girl is just beautiful, she couldn't be any sweeter. What a wonderful adoption story this is and I know you will be truly blessed as a family. Congratultions!

bundy family said...

I can't believe I haven't commented yet!
She is BEAUTIFUL!!! We couldnt be happier for you guys! Sucks we didn't get time to see you while you were here....I am so glad that everything worked out so well. you guys deserve it!
And those pictures are amazing.

whateverin' said...

I am just reading this today. And I'm not even crying, I AM BAWLING LIKE A BABY!! What a beautiful fairytale. I guess dreams really do come true. She's perfect!

Love you.

Kendra said...

I check your blog everyday looking for more pictures! Love what's here so far. We are so happy for you.

I know life with a newborn is exhausting...

Post more pictures!...

Kalia said...

What a beautiful story of how a family came to be! I don't know you, but I was truly touched! Thank you for sharing your story.

My 'Little Womens' Mom! said...

I am, with tears of JOY flowing down my cheeks, writing to congratulate you & thank you for sharing your story with so many of us! What an inspiration and example of hope! Thank you! You truly have a gift for expressing your feeling in writing. I am sooooooo happy for you both. Give your little Hazel a hug for me, and again, congratulations to you both! Barbara Hansen (Genevieve's mom in Rexburg)

Mommy Shar said...

with tears I type... how lucky this pretty little girl is to have you two as parents and a birthmother who made such a sacrifice. Thanks for sharing.